Fisher Cube Puzzle

Mixing
Solving
Transforming
A batch of originals
HKnowstore Puzzles

 

 
 

All content copyright © Tony Fisher 2009 - 2014

Privacy Policy | Contact | About Me

 

 

Idea Conceived

Prototype finished

Revealed

Original concept

Core puzzle

Dimensions

 

Mid 80s

Mid 80s

Mid 80s

Tony Fisher

Rubik's Cube

5.5 x 5.5 x 5.7 cm / 2.2 x 2.2 x 2.2 inch

 

Tony Fisher's Puzzle Store

Select category

This is probably the puzzle I am most well known for. I made it in the mid eighties but I don't remember exactly which year. It's fairly easy to make though needs a bit of time to get a professional looking finish. To solve it is similar to a regular Rubik's Cube though extra processors are required to deal with the centres.
The first three photos shows the more recent version. This is much better quality than my originals. Movement is good and I am very pleased with the way it looks. Lower down you can see my original Fisher Cube. Although it worked ok the appearance was not great. I was unable to get the colours I wanted for the stickers and had to settle for a yucky brown instead of orange.
This was the first puzzle I ever sold or swapped. I had been buying factory made puzzles from a few of my contacts around the world and showed it to some of them. They asked me to make it for them and I was able to swap for the puzzles I wanted. One of my contacts was Christoph Bandelow. He was very interested in my transformation and asked me to make 50 for him. He then sold them in his puzzle catalogue. He was the one who decided to call it The Fisher Cube. At the time I hated the idea and didn't think it needed a title. Naming such a simple transformation after myself seemed somewhat pretentious. It was just a puzzle I had made after all. I got used to it though and nowadays throw my name in front of every puzzle I make.
I tried a number of ways to make those originals though none were very efficient. The first few were made by cutting parts off a regular Rubik's Cube and gluing them onto an Octagonal Barrel. This was ok but it meant for each Fisher Cube I needed two puzzles plus the cutting had to be careful or parts were wasted or required lots of sanding. It was ok for a few but not so good when making a larger batch. Next I tried using moulds and casting the pieces in polyester resin which I bought from car repair shops. The only possible moulding material I knew of that was remotely usable was candle wax. Some years earlier I had found a load washed up on the beach and had experimented making candles. I thought about plaster of paris but knew the resin would soak in. I didn't even know that remeltable rubber or silicone rubber existed plus there was no internet in those days and no books on the subject. I wasn't aware of anyone else in the world doing this kind of stuff so had no one to ask. I had to experiment and figure everything out for myself. The wax worked but often it would break when the pieces were removed.
For my later ones I used a technique perfected by Anthony Greenhill. This was to use high impact polystyrene plastic sheet. It gets a little labourious but it allows a really good finish and the puzzle remains nice and light.
Later Christoph requested more before I moved onto making other transformations. It was this puzzle though that got my name known and things just escalated from there. The Siamese Cubes were my first puzzle but this was certainly the most significant.
The last photo shows my Cube in Christoph's 1991 Magic Cubes catalogue.
In 2009 a Chinese company started mass producing copies of my Fisher Cubes. This was done without my permission. However after quick intervention by Uwe Meffert a deal was secured whereby I receive a royalty for each sold plus stickers are added with my name and Meffert's logo.