This is one of my favourite transformations which I invented and first made in 1996. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Rotational movement is very good with each move clicking nicely into place. I used standard Rubik's Cube style stickers sometimes using six colours doubling up on opposite faces and sometimes using twelve.
The puzzle was constructed by first sculpting the three new masters out of solid polyester resin. This was done with files, saw and sand paper. No rapid prototyping was used and this was before I got my Dremel. Although I had angled pieces of plastic to check the edge to face angles and face to face angles no other maths was used. It was more about sculpting the pieces by eye than a technical geometric build. Getting them right though did take a long time and over the years I have tweaked them every now and again. The parts themselves were originally cast hollow in polyester resin from remeltable rubber (Gelflex) moulds. When I made a few more in later years I progressed to using silicone rubber moulds and eventually polyurethane resin for the pieces.