I first showed the prototype of my Hexaminx at the Dutch Cube Day in 2007.
The puzzle is a complex transformation of a Megaminx. In order to construct it I needed to modify all 62 external parts. I first sculpted the eight masters by hand though using old Megaminx parts within the process. I then made silicone rubber moulds and cast the new pieces in polyurethane resin. No rapid prototyping was used.
Rotational movement is pretty good. However if the puzzle is not properly aligned the pieces can catch on one another and come out. This is not a fault but due to the sharp angles you get with such a transformation. I used ink to colour the plastic black but unfortunately it tends to come off on your hands and ultimately leads to a dirty looking puzzle. This is probably the last puzzle I will blacken this way. Using a black pigment in the resin is not enough though since when the pieces are sanded and polished they have a slight milky greyness.
I have used the high quality stickers that you would find on a Skewb instead of regular Rubik's Cube style. This was for two reasons. They are thicker and cover any unevenness better plus they are more resistant to the bubbling you get when using polyurethane resin.
To solve, it is similar to a Megaminx though the Megaminx centres now need to be orientated correctly whereas six of the edges now do not.
If you know how to solve a super Megaminx then you have all the information needed to solve it. However since it changes shape so much it is easy to get lost.
In 2010 / 2011 Claus and Traiphum both made pillowed versions.
In 2013 plans were made for a mass produced Pillowed Hexaminx based on Traiphum and my designs. They were finally released on 28th August 2013 and special hand signed ones can be purchased below.